October 10, 2011

Brewing Byssap

This is my amazing neighbor who has been key to my adjusting to life in Kolda.

First, she introduced me to a group of local students who play volleyball most evenings at the nearby middle school - an activity that has been a great way to burn off steam and some calories while getting to know people in the community.  It has also been a cross cultural learning opportunity where I've noted that some things are universal.  For example, blocking a boy who think he's a badass is fabulous fun in any country, especially if you do it 3 times in 1 game.

She has also been teaching me a bit about food in Senegal.  The other day we wandered the market in the early morning and then spent the rest of the morning and afternoon preparing 'ceeb u quecha', or dried fish and rice.  Its much better than the name sounds, but my hands did stink of fish for two days after the meal.

While the first cooking lesson's results were tasty, I decided to take our next recipe into my own hands and proposed a juice making day.  She and her little cousin came over and helped me prepare the byssap flowers (the red leaves below) and mint, get the charcoal fire started and demonstrated proper stirring, sifting and straining techniques.

All in all, there were no complaints from my family when we enjoyed glasses of cold byssap juice after dinner that night, so juice making might have to become a regular undertaking for me.
 


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/10/2011

    What does the juice taste like? Grape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tastes a bit like a berry mix, but a bit sharper with the mint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating posts Lisa! It's interesting to see your pictures and hear your stories, especially never having been anywhere in Africa, it's neat to get a feel for life in Senegal through your eyes. And this homemade juice is so unique!! Are you missing foods from home?

    ReplyDelete