June 11, 2011

Getting ready for the Safari

The Riggs' clan is planning a safari in Africa and I haven't even left the States yet :)

I'll be en route in just a little under 36 hours and in true last minute Lisa form I have a few things left to do. First on the list is a test on Wolof, the language I will most likely be using in addition to French. I've been hoping that listening to basic conversations over and over will just make the language clear to me - not much luck yet. When I'm not repeating "Asalaam Maalekum" (peace be with you, the equivalent of 'hello') I'm out buying those American snacks I know I'm going to miss, ignoring the fact I promised myself I wouldn't overpack.

The excitement of finally going is tempered slightly by all the goodbyes I have had to make these past few weeks as well as the realization that I don't have a Mary Poppins bag.

But while I'm going to desperately miss people and food, I am excited for my journey as a volunteer in Senegal.

Ba beneen yoon - see you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it! Good luck and have a safe journey!!

    ReplyDelete